Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Go-to books

These are a few of the books I go back to reading from time to time. I call them my 'go-to books'. they have been companions in my times of joy and sorrow, guiding me, teaching me, enlightening me. These books, and i ant to add more on to the collection, have taken away my pain and given me joy. They have been a gateway to another world, another culture, another civilization when I needed to get away, or just wanted to plain have a good time. MY valued companions.

Among the collection, Gabriel Garcia Marquez's A Hundred Years of Solitude has always mesmerised me, it is like being transported to another portal while reading the book. Wuthering Heights, since when I had read it back in the school days, have remained a favourite. Things Fall Apart is so rich and engaging, I keep going back to it time and again. The rich culture and social ethics of the tribes fascinated. Life of Pie, well even before the movie was made, had emerged a good read.Pi Patel's epic journey, somehow came about to me my own- a spiritual awakening, an adventure never had.

Other favourites beside these lot include Little Women and Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd. Both were a part of school curriculum. Both left profound impact on me. And I have been a dedicated reader of Hardy's work. His exemplary imagery creates such graphic images in the mind. And hs books are in love with nature, as I am!

Missing here, but a big big favourite is the.Harry Potter series. I read n re-read n re-read some more over and over again. Just can't get enough of the Boy Who Lived and JK Rowling's spell weaving magical world.

Well here is my list. How about you? What are the books you keep going back to from time to time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

The moth fell in love with the flame

(This was written by me quite sometime ago..m just re-posting!!) The moth fell in love with the flame; It could not take its eyes off...